Thursday, January 28, 2010

Oh the Trials and Tribulations..............

The past few days have been a test. Roo decided that this week she would be at her most difficult.......and boy was she ever. Everything seemed to get a no answer in response and lessons were a struggle due to the attitude, but we prevailed. Her attitude subsided today and she was quiet, helpful and promptly did her work without argument. It was like night and day. I think I am going to go to the dollar store and pick up a timer, a "treasure chest" and some cheap prizes to try to implement a behavior and work reward system. She is not the type of kid that is phased by standing in the corner or having toys/games/privileges revoked, so we will try this and see how it works.
This morning we had art class at the local art school. The project today was clay masks, messy but fun. As the class went on, slowly the kids began to disappear until it was only the moms left finishing the masks. The kids decided to go into the other room and were playing hide and seek. I can't wait to see the end result after they are fired in the kiln and we paint them. If they are complete I will post the project next week.
On another note, I am think of not using Explode the Code work books anymore. Roo doesn't really like them and we get to it only 1-2 times a week. I think I may continue with it until the end of summer and see how far we can take it (hopefully to the end of book 4 or 5). The when the grade 1 year begins I will no longer use it. I think there will be enough for her to do at that time anyway.  Right now she is watching the Eloise movie from our library (aren't libraries great) and is cackling with laughter. Sometimes that laughter means naughty things, so I must go check now. I actually compare Roo to Eloise. For those of you that have read her stories that should give some insight to what she can be like:)

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I LOVE the ETC workbooks. and i LOVE them so much more than DD does :) But, she gets to spell, write and read....we only do 2-3 pages a day and she knows it. Ill ask for more, and shell tell me, mom, 2 pages a day, REMEMBER. Its gotta be the age with the attitude! I try to tackle it all in the am, by 9-9:30 we start. first with OPGTR and 100 ez....

i like the rewards chart. we dont do timeouts and take aways here,....pointless. but rewards, even ill be good for that!

Sara said...

I like ETC as well. She always reminds me too when I try to get her to do more than what I originally told her to do. I have to watch what I say around her because she always remembers it and uses it against me later:) She'll say "Um, mom it's two pages today. That's what the lesson schedule says. That's too funny. I've heard 4-5 year olds girls develop attitudes. I just hope it wears off soon.

Angela said...

I am always on the fence about using ETC. I almost ditched them this spring, but my daughter wanted to keep doing them. She isn't overly enthusiastic when I actually have her do 3 pages though, so we'll see how this goes...

I sometimes promise "just 2 lessons" this morning. I will get caught if I sneak in 3-4 lessons! Us naughty mamas.